Until recently when I heard mention of a veggie version of a BLT I conjured up images of nasty chemicals and fillers masquerading as bacon and would think “what’s the point? if you want bacon, eat bacon.” That was before I discovered Halloumi cheese. An amazing bovine gift that really can stand in for bacon- without any of the nasty chemical burn in your belly.
Halloumi ain’t cheap- but any well-stocked grocery store will have it. And I’ve found it significantly cheaper at my local Mediterranean Market.
Save this recipe for when you can your hands on some really good tomatoes. It’s not a winter kind of sandwich.
The Spicy Blackberry Mayo is to die for and you should have plenty leftover. I think it’s wonderful on sweet potato fries, if you’re into that sort of thing.
HALLOUMI CLTs – Serves 2
Make Ahead and Make it Easy
Make the mayo the weekend before. Then, while the cheese is a grillin’ and the bread is a toastin’ all you’ve got to do is slice the tomatoes.
- ½ c fresh blackberries
- 2-3 tsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ½ cup regular or vegan mayo
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 lb halloumi cheese, sliced into ¼-inch-thick pieces
- 2 fresh ciabatta rolls, toasted
- 2 small handfulls baby greens
- 2 ripe tomatoes
How to make it
- In a food processor or blender, puree blackberries, chipotle pepper, mayo, and mustard.
- Heat a large, heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat. Brown each side of the halloumi for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Apply mayo to toasted bread and stack up lettuce, tomato and cheese as you see fit.
From ReadyMade Magazine