The thing about veggies is that veggie haters assume they are all green, and therefore easily identifiable. The thing about cheese is, it makes everything awesome. So there you have it. The Secret Mission that this soup is named after is “Mission: Get-Vegetable-Hater-to-Consume-a-Full-Day’s-Worth-of-Vitamin-C-Plus-Lots-of-Fiber-Folate-Calcium-and-Phytonutrients.” Now that mission is important, as evidenced by the sheer number of syllables in its name.
If the blue cheese varieties are too strong, I think this would work quite well with just about any type of cheese. I also think you could mix n’ match veggies (broccoli and carrots come to mind). Be sure to let us know what you try! Serve it up with some braised greens and bread (shown- and don’t bother making the veggie hater eat the greens. You’ve got to pick your battles) for a well-rounded and fast dinner.
SECRET MISSION CAULIFLOWER SOUP – serves 8
Make Ahead and Make it Easy
Make this soup a few days in advance and slowly heat it back up when you are ready to eat it. Some folks don’t like freezing dairy based soups but I find they freeze just fine. Be sure to freeze it from room temperature and re-heat slowly, stirring often.
- 3 Tbs butter or olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz (2/3 cup) cheese from the blue family (Stilton, Gorgonzola, etc.)
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
- Melt butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and cauliflower and cook about 10 minutes
- Add broth, reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower is very soft- about half an hour
- Stir in 2 cups of the milk and use a blender, food processor, or immersion blender to puree the soup (be very careful as hot liquids can explode in the blender!).
- Return to pot, add cheese, cream, salt, and pepper.