These enchiladas are yet another way to get the veggie-hater in your life to love veggies without even realizing it. Shredding the zucchini and mixing it in with the shredded cheese makes for a creamy, delicious, and folate/manganese/potassium-filled meal.
These bad boys can be made gluten-free if you choose the right tortilla- AND did you know that the oil in zuchinni seeds is a good source of Omega-3s? Seriously- what’s not to like about them!?
ZUCCHINI ENCHILADAS- serves 4
Make Ahead and Make it Easy
You can make the whole dish and stick it in the fridge or the freezer (if frozen you’ll want to double the cooking time). If you are freezing or refrigerating don’t put the salsa on until you are ready to bake- lest the tortillas get soggy.
Another way to make this easier is to buy garlic flavored cream cheese instead of making your own.
- 3 cups zucchini, grated with a cheese grater (3 small or 2 medium)
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese Blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 package 8″ tortillas (“fajita size”)- I like whole wheat flour but white flour or corn (gluten-free) are fine too!
- 6 oz cream cheese mixed with 2 cloves chopped garlic, OR 6 oz. garlic cream cheese
- 16 oz your favorite salsa
- avocado, lime wedges, sour cream for garnish
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl mix together grated zucchini, cheese, and chopped cilantro.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray
- Heat each tortilla one at a time on a dry skillet until it gets soft. When it comes off the skillet spread 1 Tbs cream cheese on it and put 1/3 cup of the zucchini mixture on it. Roll it up and put it in the pan.
- Repeat Step 4 until the pan is full.
- Pour the salsa over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes, uncover and bake 5 minutes more.
- Serve with avocado, lime wedges, and sour cream for garnish.