I am not going to try to hoodwink you into thinking this banana bread is healthy. There are plenty of “healthy” banana bread recipes out there and this is not one of them. This is a buttery, rich, “treat-yourself-and-don’t-feel-guilty” kind of banana bread.
We’ve all tried lots and lots of banana bread recipes because we all find ourselves with brown bananas now and again. Well, this one is the best I have ever made. The best thing about this recipe? You probably already have it in your own house. I dug it out of Mark Bittman’s cooking bible How to Cook Everything and it remains my favorite recipe in the book of well over a thousand.
WORLD’S RICHEST BANANA BREAD – makes 1 loaf
- 8 Tbs (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated dried unsweetened coconut (if you can’t find unsweetened just lessen the sugar by a couple of Tbs)
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350 and grease a 9×5 bread pan
- Whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and the sugar and then add the bananas. Mix well.
- Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients. Careful not to overmix!
- Add the vanilla, nuts, and coconut.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
From How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman